Persuasive Speech Assignment Sheet
Purpose of Assignment:
The purpose of this speech is to apply of all the concepts you have learned thus far to craft a sound and persuasively communicated argument. Your goal is to influence the audience in your desired direction. Your thesis should be a single sentence claim of policy (using the words “should” or “should not”) that you will defend through the course of your speech. In addition, you must call for a direct and specific course of action from your audience. Your speech is to be based on sound reasoning and evidence and must include motivational appeals and credibility.
● Your topic should be one that is timely and one that you find interesting.
● The speech should be 6-8 minutes in length.
● Be prepared to answer questions from the audience after the conclusion of your speech.
● Your presentation skills should include:
-Natural and conversational delivery (do not read)
-Effective vocal and physical delivery skills
-Effective use of visual aids (at least one is required)
● You must clearly establish credibility and make use of appeals to audience needs and values.
● You must make clear use of valid reasoning and logic while making your arguments.
● Your speech should have a clearly established introduction, body and conclusion, including all important elements of each (attention-getter, thesis, value step/connecting to the audience, review of main points, transitions, etc.).
● You must orally cite your sources in the speech itself.
● The speech should be well-organized using one of the organizational patterns covered in class. The Problem-Solution, Problem-Cause-Solution, and Monroe’s Motivated Sequence patterns are particularly well-suited for this speech.
● A typed, full-sentence outline following the Outline Template provided is due on the day of the speech. Do not provide a fully worded manuscript of your speech.
● A works cited page in APA format with at least five different citations should be included with the outline.